Sadness is a normal human emotion but when the feels of being low in mood and hopeless about the future continue for an extended perid of time then you may be struggling with low mood or clinical depression.
Depression can be triggered by life events such as bereavement, work transitions, stress or changes to personal circumstances. Sometimes these feelings can come out of the blue.
Main symptoms include
- Feeling negative about yourself
- Lack of motivation
- Reduced appetite
- Changes to sleep patterns
- Memory or concentration issues
- Reducing social contact or activities
- Thoughts that your life may not be worth living
Psychologists use a range of approaches including Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Mindfulness, Behavioural Activation and ACT to work with depresssion.